Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Visiting Salisbury

This weekend I spent by myself as my houseowners were taking their oldest son to university up North, and my portuguese housemate and boyfriend were visiting London to report his wallet missing. Friday night I went out for a drink with a couple of teachers, and getting up early Saturday morning I took the train to Salisbury to spend the day there.

Salisbury is a bit bigger than Warminster, about 45 000 inhabitants I think I've heard somewhere, and it is only a 20min train ride away. I'm guessing that this is the place we'll be going to if we want to shop; it had quite a lot of nice shops as well as Fat Face where I just had to buy this really nice top! And the great thing about it was that it was wool in it, because it is getting more chilly here...

As I came into town I first wandered the shops for a little bit before I went to the market place. Saturday is apparently a good day for visiting it, and there were loads of things to buy (or just look at): pastry, pasties, cheese, meat, fish, clothes, batteries and so on. After wandering around a bit I went to a tea shop for lunch and a place to sit down and warm myself up a bit.

Salisbury Cathedral is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Salisbury, so I had to visit it. It's not as big as York Minster, but it was very nice. It has got one of the tallest spires in Europe actually, but I chose not to enter the tower. As I was walking through the cathedral, listening in on the 1hr and 15min guided walk, I was thinking about my museum-loving friends (I think you know who you are) and how this would be a great experience to share with them. Even so, the guided tour was a bit long even for me, but I got some nice pictures from it and a look at an English bride (who luckily looked more happy as she came out than she did when she went in...)

Here are a few pictures from my day out:






1 comment:

Ida og Ella said...

Så kjekt å sjå at du kosa deg :)Og ikkje minst, kjekt å høre at sommaren e over andre plassa enn bare her, for her ligge snøen nemlig!!!
Du må fortsette å være så flink å oppdatere bloggen din, kjekt å sjå bilde og følge med på korleis du har d :)